Through key stage 2, the computing curriculum aims to deepen understanding of computer science, information technology and digital literacy. Children become more skilled, and critical, users of technology, choosing tools that helps them achieve their goals while developing safe, and acceptable, online behaviours.
This CPD, the first of two modules, seeks to broaden your understanding across the whole computing curriculum. You will demystify computers, developing understanding of data fundamentals such as binary, and learning how the parts of a computer system handle this data to carry out useful tasks. You will strengthen your knowledge of computer networks, including the internet and technologies such as search engines and email that make use of it.
Book now and you will be automatically registered for the scheduled sessions for the course. Remote CPD courses have live, facilitator-led sessions and are not available for instant access. Please refer to the schedule of dates published for each course instance.
Who is it for?
Primary computing coordinators looking to develop their own teaching and that of their colleagues. Any primary teacher or senior leader interested in teaching computing.
What topics are covered?
- 01 | How computers work – Develop your knowledge of the breadth and depth of computing in upper primary. Recognise computing devices, the hardware from which they are made and how software processes data to make computers useful.
- 02 | Understanding and using networks – Improve your knowledge of curriculum content and what children should know about computer networks, the internet and safely navigating the associated risks. Learn about how data is transmitted between computers and how web services work, such as search engines and the World Wide Web.
- 03 | How search works – Find out how search engines help us find information on the web, and consider how this can be taught in your school.
- 04 | Using technology safely and responsibly – Help children to improve their awareness of privacy and online safety, and ensure they know how to handle content and the conduct of other people they encounter online.
- 05 | Online safety and the computing curriculum – Consider how computing, as part of a whole school coordinated approach, can help children to be safe and confident users of the web.
- 06 | Digital and media literacy – Support children to be more discerning in their consumption and creation of digital content.